3rd Place Winner: Cherry Walnut Fudge
Michelle Romano; Woburn, Massachusetts
· 4 cups sugar
· 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
· 2 cups milk chocolate chips
· 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
· 1½ cups chopped walnuts
· 1 (12 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, drained, chopped fine, and patted dry with paper towels (should yield about 1 cup)
· 1 tablespoon vanilla
· ½ teaspoon almond extract
· ¾ cup butter, melted
Butter 9×13-inch pan and set aside.
Mix together sugar and evaporated milk in saucepan and cook on medium-high heat until it starts to boil. Cook 6 minutes, or until “soft ball” on candy thermometer.
Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients together in a separate large bowl. When finished cooking, pour hot sugar mixture into other ingredients and mix until everything is melted and smooth.
Pour everything into greased pan and press down with potato masher or similar utensil until all the air is pushed out and everything is smooth and flat. Cover with plastic wrap and store in cool place for about 12 hours before cutting in cubes and serving.
For more great stories like this and more fudge recipes, check out the November/December 2015 issue of LDS Living.