Cheddar Bacon Burgers with Caramelized Onions
- 1 pound 96% lean ground beef
- 8 ounces small brown mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon Creole mustard (or any Dijon mustard)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon light mayonnaise
- 5 lettuce leaves
- 10 slices ripe tomato
- 5 slices precooked thin-cut bacon, heated according to package
- 5 whole-grain rolls or buns
Place beef in mixing bowl and break up gently with fork. Set aside.
Remove stems from mushrooms and finely mince. Heat medium-sized skillet to medium heat. Add 1½ teaspoons olive oil and minced mushrooms. Stir 4–5 minutes until mushrooms are golden brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
To make burgers, add Worcestershire, mustard, garlic, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to beef. Add in cooked mushrooms. Gently combine ingredients; don’t over-mix. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Return pan used for mushrooms to medium heat and add remaining 1½ teaspoons olive oil. Add onions and stir 15 minutes until golden. Season with a pinch of kosher salt.
While onions are cooking, form beef mixture into 5 equal patties, about 4 inches in diameter. Grill 3–5 minutes, then flip once and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 160° F. Turn off heat and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of cheese onto each patty.
Spread 1 teaspoon of light mayo on each half. Place lettuce, tomato slices, burger, one halved slice of bacon, and onions in between buns and serve.
Check out more healthy recipes in 400 Calories or Less with Our Best Bites, available at Deseret Book and deseretbook.com.