What better way to celebrate summer than with a fun BBQ with your family and friends? Here are 5 of our favorite BBQ recipes from Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites that will be sure to hit the spot.
11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
1⁄3 cup minced onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
20 ounces (11⁄4 pounds) ground turkey breast (see Tips 1 and 2)
2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley or 2 teaspoons dry parsley
11⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1⁄4 cup peach jam
1 teaspoon Dijon or coarsely ground mustard
11⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4–6 quality buns or rolls
Lettuce Red onion slices
1. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently to prevent burning, for 2–3 minutes or until onion is tender and garlic is fragrant. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
2. Place ground turkey in a mixing bowl and break up with a fork. Add parsley, salt, pepper, peach jam, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Add sautéed onion and garlic and all oil left in pan. Important note: Do not discard the olive oil. Adding it to the meat improves the burgers’ texture and keeps them moist. Use a fork to gently toss the meat to distribute ingredients evenly. To keep meat tender, do not overwork.
3. Divide meat into 4 large patties or 6 smaller patties, forming evenly sized balls and then gently shaping into patties. Burgers can be made up to this point and then frozen or stored in the refrigerator up to 24 hours before cooking. For best results, chill patties at least 1 hour before cooking.
4. Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Brush hot cooking surface with vegetable oil. Place patties on cooking surface and cook 5–7 minutes on each side (flip only once), or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
5. Spread toasted buns with Peach Mayo Spread. Add cooked patties, lettuce, onion slices, and tomatoes and serve immediately.
Peach Mayo Spread
1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
1⁄4 cup peach preserves
1 teaspoon mild Dijon or coarsely ground mustard
Whisk all ingredients together.