Quinoa Pumpkin Black Bean Burgers
Photo courtesy of Michal Coombs
Cilantro Orange Quinoa
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2–1 whole jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
- 1 cup rainbow or red quinoa, rinsed
- Orange stock (juice from zested orange mixed with water to equal 2¼ cups total)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups pumpkin, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups cooked cilantro orange quinoa
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten (vegan alternative: 2 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 4 tablespoons water)
Coat bottom of medium pot with olive oil and heat to medium. Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño until onion is soft and translucent. Add quinoa and sauté until dry and slightly toasty. Add orange stock, zest, and cilantro. Let come to a boil before turning heat to low and covering pot. Let simmer for 15–20 minutes until stock has been absorbed and quinoa is cooked through (seed will be semi-translucent). Turn off heat, add black beans and stir. Cover and let rest.
Coat large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Add diced pumpkin and salt and pepper. Sauté until pumpkin is golden and toasty.
Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper to place burgers on while waiting to be cooked.
Add cilantro orange quinoa mixture, breadcrumbs, and eggs in large bowl and stir until well combined. Scoop quinoa pumpkin mixture (I use a #6 scoop) into tight balls and gently flatten on cookie sheet. Put in refrigerator for a few minutes if not firm enough.
Coat large skillet with olive oil (you can use same skillet used to pan-roast diced pumpkin) and heat over medium heat. Cook 4 burgers at a time, browning each side, about 5–7 minutes total. Serve with toasted hamburger buns and favorite burger toppings.