3. Utilize Your Resources
"I know that they shall be of great worth unto them in the last days; for in that day shall they understand them; wherefore, for their good have I written them" (2 Nephi 25:8).
Nephi makes an intriguing statement, which begs a question: Why? Why will we understand Isaiah in the last days?
Perhaps it is because we will notice the things Isaiah prophesied happening all around us. We’ll witness the growth of the Church and the gathering of Israel. Perhaps the Lord will pour out his Spirit upon us as we follow the prophets by more faithfully studying the scriptures. Perhaps it’s because we’ll have more resources to help us understand Isaiah than ever before.
For example, we have:
1. Restoration scriptures, which help clarify Isaiah’s meaning, such as the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.
2. In printings since 1981, a synopsis at the beginning of each Isaiah chapter in the Book of Mormon, which contains Nephi’s Keys to Understanding Isaiah helpful summaries and doctrinal points. Also, the footnotes in the Book of Mormon and in Isaiah add clarifying comments and point us to other references.
3. The LDS Bible Dictionary, which contains articles on Isaiah, the kingdom of Israel and the kingdom of Judah, Babylon, Assyria, and more.
4. Maps of the Holy Land in the back of the scriptures.
5. Modern prophets who have commented on Isaiah in their writings and in general conferences of the Church.
6. Books and articles from faithful LDS scholars in which they analyze for us Isaiah’s meanings.
In short, there has never been a better time for us to search—not skim, not skip, not avoid— but really search Isaiah. Now that we have our map, now that we know our four guides, the four trees to look for, and are equipped with Nephi’s four keys, we are ready to enjoy the richness and beauty of Isaiah.