Sweet-Potato Apple Turkey Chili
This creative twist on traditional chili will leave your home smelling like . . . well, like home.
1 large sweet potato, baked and peeled (bake at 400 degrees F for about 45 minutes)
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large carrot, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1 large apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Salt to taste, start with 1/2 teaspoon
1. In blender, puree baked sweet potato and broth until smooth; set aside.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, peppers, and zucchini and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add ground turkey and apple and cook through, about 5 to 8 more minutes.
4. Once everything is cooked through and tender, add the puree and milk to the pot, stirring gently to lift any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Add pumpkin pie spice and salt to taste and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer at least 30 minutes, and up to several hours, prior to serving. Taste and balance flavors with extra salt, if needed, before serving.