Cookie Dough Cake
Chocolate Chip Cake
1 box white cake mix
½ cup melted butter, cooled
¾ cup buttermilk or milk
¾ cup sour cream
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Cookie Dough Frosting
2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
5–6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips, for filling
1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips
8 chocolate chip cookies
1/3 cup crushed chocolate chip cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease three 8-inch pans. (You can make this cake with only two layers; see baking time below.) I like to line the bottoms of my pans with foil or parchment for easy removal.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, sour cream, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix and 1 cup mini chocolate chips.
5. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and use a spatula to spread the batter evenly. Bake for 17–22 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. (If you are making only two layers, bake for 20–25 minutes.)
6. Let cake cool completely.
7. Cookie Dough Frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract, flour, and salt; beat again. Gradually add powdered sugar until frosting reaches the desired consistency.
8. Remove about 2 cups of frosting to use between cake layers; stir the ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips into the 2 cups frosting.
9. To assemble the cake, stack layers, frosting between each with the frosting/chocolate chip mixture. Top with the final layer of cake and cover the cake with the rest of the frosting. (Save a little frosting to pipe decorations on top of the finished cake, if desired.)
10. Use mini chocolate chips to cover the sides of the cake; decorate the top with piped frosting, cookies, and crushed cookies.