Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Red Velvet Cookies
1 box red velvet cake mix
1/3 cup oil
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup granulated sugar (use powdered sugar if you want the “crinkle” look)
Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3–4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract.
3. Scoop out pieces of dough that are about 1 tablespoon in size, or a little bigger. The dough will be gooey.
4. Drop each piece of dough into sugar and roll the dough until covered, forming a ball. Place balls on the cookie sheet 3 inches apart. Press down gently with your fingertips.
5. Bake for 6–10 minutes and let cool.
6. Cream Cheese Filling: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract and gradually add powdered sugar until the filling reaches the desired consistency.
7. Pipe filling onto the bottom of half the cookies, sandwich with another cookie, and roll the frosting rim in coarse sugar or colored sprinkles to decorate.