Chocolate Coconut Whoopie Pies
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coconut Cream Filling
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter, softened
1 ½ teaspoons coconut extract
3–4 cups powdered sugar
Shredded coconut for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl to remove any lumps.
3. Add eggs, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract; stir until combined well.
4. Form dough balls, each with 1 or 1½ tablspoon dough (depending on how large you want the finished product to be); place the balls on the cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Gently pat down the cookies a little with your fingertips.
5. Bake for 7–12 minutes, depending on how fudge-like or cake-like you want the cookies to be.
6. Coconut Cream Filling: Beat cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes. Add coconut extract. Gradually add powdered sugar until the filling reaches the desired consistency.
7. To assemble, frost the bottom of half of cooled cookies. Place an unfrosted cookie on top of each frosted one, creating cookie “sandwiches.” Roll exposed edges of filling in shredded coconut for added decoration.