Before Our Journey’s Through

Before the Los Angeles temple was dedicated in 1956, the Latter-day Saints of California traveled long distances to attend the temple. An earlier post described the first such temple excursion from Long Beach to the temple at Mesa, Arizona.

So many Saints were traveling so many miles for temple attendance in those days before everyone had the kind of private car to make that trip safely. To ease the burden, the Los Angeles Stake Genealogical Committee purchased a bus in February of 1933 specifically for temple trips. Most of their excursions were to the temple at Mesa, but in October 1933, 29 members of the stake rode all the way to Salt Lake City. By the time they returned home at the end of that trip – having attended the temples in Salt Lake, Logan, Manti and St. George – the bus had carried nearly 600 passengers, making it possible for members to perform 22,473 temple ordinances.

The usefulness of the temple bus continued into February 1934, when members of the Home Gardens Ward of Southgate, in the Los Angeles Stake, under the leadership of Bishop Morris R. Parry, made another excursion to Mesa. An additional 15 ward members drove in private cars, meeting ward members in Mesa for a four-day feast of temple worship.

Read the rest of this story at keepapitchinin.org
Comments and feedback can be sent to feedback@ldsliving.com