Enjoy this recipe from BYUtv’s Food Nanny, Liz Edmunds. The Food Nanny is a new reality makeover show that takes a disastrous dinner situation and whips it into shape. Watch Thursday nights at 6 and 9 p.m. on BYUtv. To watch the Food Nanny prepare this recipe, click here.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham & Corn
6 to 8 servings
2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground white pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1 (8.5-ounce) can corn, drained
1 (1-pound) precooked ham steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a shallow oblong baking dish.
2. Thinly slice the potatoes into a large bowl.
3. Melt the butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from the heat and add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, stirring until combined. Pour the mixture over the potatoes and lightly mix.
4. Gently stir in the corn and ham. Spoon into the prepared dish.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender. For a browned top, remove the foil about halfway through the baking time. At the end of the baking time, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top. Bake a few more minutes until the cheese is melted.
This is a nice casserole to use your left over ham. Serve with a green salad, hot cooked green peas or broccoli, or fresh fruit.
Variation: Omit the ham and corn from the casserole and serve the Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with baked ham or Savory Meatloaf and a green salad or Baked Buttered Carrots.
Comments and feedback can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
INFORMATION AND INSPIRATION FOR LIVING A LATTER-DAY SAINT LIFE
Daily news, articles & videos right to your inbox.