- 1 c Thrive carrot dices
- 1 c Thrive freeze dried green peas
- 1/2 c Thrive freeze dried celery
- 1/3 c Thrive freeze dried chopped onions
- 1/3 c Thrive white flour
- 1/2 t Thrive iodized salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t celery seed
- 1 3/4 c chicken broth (made with Thrive chicken bouillon)
- 2/3 c Thrive instant milk, prepared (plus 1 1/2 c for crust)
- 4 c Thrive 6 grain pancake mix, divided
- 2 c Thrive chicken dices (or 1 lb. skinless, cubed boneless chicken breast halves)
- 1/3 c butter (plus 4 t, melted, for crust)
In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; drain and set aside.
Using the same saucepan, cook onions in 1/3 c butter over medium heat until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed.
Slowly stir in chicken broth and 2/3 c milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and combine with chicken mixture.
Crust: In a large bowl, stir 6 grain pancake mix, 4 T butter, and 1 1/2 c milk until soft dough forms. On a well floured surface, work dough and shape into a ball; knead five times. Divide dough into 4 equal segments.
Gently press dough segment into the bottom of a pie plate and up the sides. Place 1/2 the chicken and sauce mixture in bottom of pie crust. Cover with another dough segment; seal edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Repeat process with second pie.
Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until dough is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Notes *Covered pie will freeze for up to one month.
To find more great recipes and learn about Thrive ingredients, visit shelfreliance.com