Thought: “We have been given agency, we have been given the blessings of the priesthood, and we have been given the Light of Christ and the Holy Ghost for a reason. That reason is our growth and happiness in this world and eternal life in the world to come. Today I ask, have we received that Spirit? Are we following on the strait and narrow path that leads to God and eternal life? Are we holding onto the iron rod, or are we going another way? I testify that how we choose to feel and think and act every day is the way we get on the path, and stay on it, until we reach our eternal destination.”
—Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (emphasis added)
Articles of Faith 1:2: “We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.”
(This would be a good time to teach the family where the Articles of Faith are found in the scriptures, at the end of the Pearl of Great Price.)
• Tell the story of Adam and Eve as found in the scriptures (refer to Genesis 2:8–25; Genesis 3:1–24; and Moses 4:5–31).
• Discuss with the family the choices Adam and Eve made, and the consequences of those choices.
• Recite and discuss the second Article of Faith together as a family. Then watch Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith, Second Article of Faith clip:
Preparation: create a plate or platter of vegetables with dip; create another platter of cookies (see recipe for The Right Choice Chocolate Chip Cookies below).
• Step 1: Present a plate of vegetables and a plate of cookies to the family (this serves as an object lesson, as well as a yummy treat). Explain that the two plates represent two choices.
• Step 2: Ask each family member to select one of the items to eat (make sure you provide plates or napkins).
• Step 3: As they eat their treat, ask family members what different consequences would come from eating too many vegetables or too many cookies (example: If you ate too many cookies, how would you feel?).
• Step 4: Explain to family members that all choices have consequences. Explain that we are responsible for our own choices and the consequences of those choices. Also, explain that though others’ choices might have a positive or negative effect on our lives, we are only responsible for the choices we make. Others will be responsible for the choices they make.
• Step 5: Recite the second Article of Faith once more as a family. To close the evening, testify of the truths you have learned.
The Right Choice Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 tablespoons milk
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the shortening with the brown sugar and white sugar. Stir in the eggs, coconut extract, and milk. Then mix in the sifted dry ingredients. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Drop cookie dough from a spoon in golf-ball sized portions onto an unprepared cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should be slightly brown at the edges. Allow cookies to cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheets before removing to cool completely on wire racks.
Recipe from AllRecipes.com.
Image from Getty Images
To learn more about the Articles of Faith, check out the full DVD of Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith, available at Deseret Book.
Sing along with the children's choir and orchestra as you learn the Articles of Faith with Zack and his sister, Zoey. Golden-Globe nominated composer Lex de Azevedo teams up with the producers of Signing Time to create fun new songs for you to remember, enjoy, and understand the Articles of Faith.