Thought: “During our time here on earth, we have been charged to develop the natural gifts and capabilities Heavenly Father has blessed us with. Then it will be our opportunity to use these gifts to become teachers and leaders of God’s children wherever they may be found on earth. To exercise these gifts, we must develop a purity of heart.”
—Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Song:“There Is Sunshine in My Soul Today,” Hymn #227
Articles of Faith 1:7: “We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.”
(This would be a good time to teach the family where the Articles of Faith are found in the scriptures, at the conclusion of the Pearl of Great Price.)
• Recite the seventh Article of Faith together as a family.
• Explain and discuss the meaning of the “gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.” Explain that we all are blessed with different gifts to bless the lives of those around us.
• Watch Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith, Seventh Article of Faith clip:
Items needed: Enough paper and pencils and/or pens for the entire family
• Step 1: Find a space where family members can comfortably sit on the floor in a circle (you could choose to go outside on the grass or in a family room.
• Step 2: Have each family member write their name in BIG letters at the top of his or her piece of paper.
• Step 3: Have all family members pass their piece of paper to the person to their left, and have that person write a gift and/or talent underneath about the person whose name is at the top of the paper.
• Step 4: Keep passing the paper to the left so that all members of the family have a chance to write something under each family member’s name. (This serves as a keepsake for each member of the family to remind them of their gifts.)
• Step 5: Now, take ten minutes to go around the circle and verbalize what each member wrote. This exercise not only helps family members to hear some of their gifts out loud, but it also strengthens family relationships and bonds.
• Step 6: Testify of the importance of gifts and talents and their purpose in strengthening individuals and families.
Philadelphia Fruit Pizza
1 pkg. (16.5 oz.) refrigerated sliceable sugar cookies, sliced
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
4 cups assorted cut-up fruit (kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, drained canned mandarin oranges)
¼ cup apricot preserves, pressed through sieve to remove lumps
1 tbsp. water
• HEAT oven to 375°F.
• LINE 12-inch pizza pan with foil; spray with cooking spray. Arrange cookie dough slices in single layer in prepared pan; press together to form crust. Bake 14 min.; cool completely. Invert onto plate; carefully remove foil. Turn crust over.
• BEAT cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with mixer until well blended. Spread over crust.
• TOP with fruit. Mix preserves and water; brush over fruit. Refrigerate 2 hours.
Recipe from kraftrecipes.com.
Image from Thinkstock.
To learn more about the Articles of Faith, check out the full DVD of Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith, available at Deseret Book.
Sing along with the children's choir and orchestra as you learn the Articles of Faith with Zack and his sister, Zoey. Golden-Globe nominated composer Lex de Azevedo teams up with the producers of Signing Time to create fun new songs for you to remember, enjoy, and understand the Articles of Faith.