Thought: “Our Father in Heaven is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The prophet Mormon tells us that God is ‘unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity’ [Moroni 8:18]. In this world where nearly everything seems to be changing, His constancy is something on which we can rely, an anchor to which we can hold fast and be safe, lest we be swept away into uncharted waters.”
—President Thomas S. Monson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Song: “Praise to the Man,” Hymn #27
Articles of Faith 1:6: “We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.”
(This would be a good time to teach the family where the Articles of Faith are found in the scriptures, at the conclusion of the Pearl of Great Price.)
• Recite the sixth Article of Faith together as a family. Explain that just as Christ organized His church on the earth with prophets, apostles, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and more, we have these same offices in our day (pastors = bishops; evangelists = patriarchs).
• Watch Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith, Sixth Article of Faith clip. Ask each family member to share something they learned from the video.
• Ask members of the family to identify some of the prophets from ancient scripture. Ask members to identify who the prophets and apostles are today. Also, have them identify the leaders of your stake and ward and/or branch (ex. Stake Presidency, Bishopric/Branch Presidency, Relief Society Presidency, Elder’s Quorum Presidency, Primary Presidency, etc.). Talk about the role of each calling and why each is important.
• Bear your testimony of the importance of having prophets and apostles in our day. Testify of your gratitude for a God who is the same "yesterday, today, and forever."
Preparation: Print one copy of this image for each member of your family. You will also need to gather crayons and/or colored pencils.
• Step 1: Give each member of the family a copy of the printed picture and crayons and/or colored pencils. Allow 5–10 minutes for each family member to color the picture.
• Step 2: Have each person show their picture and describe what is happening in the picture.
Lead image from Getty Images
To learn more about the Articles of Faith, check out the full DVD of Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith, available at Deseret Book.
Sing along with the children's choir and orchestra as you learn the Articles of Faith with Zack and his sister, Zoey. Golden-Globe nominated composer Lex de Azevedo teams up with the producers of Signing Time to create fun new songs for you to remember, enjoy, and understand the Articles of Faith.