Enjoy this recipe from BYUtv’s Food Nanny, Liz Edmunds. The Food Nanny is a new reality makeover show that takes a disastrous dinner situation and whips it into shape. Watch The Food Nanny Thursday nights at 6 and 9 p.m. on BYUtv. Watch past episodes, here.
Fresh Tomato Bruschetta with Basil
3 to 4 servings
2 large hothouse or vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 loaf crusty Italian bread, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
2 whole garlic cloves, cut in half (optional)
Olive oil, for brushing on the toasted bread
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine the tomaotes, oil, and basil in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Preheat the broiler to low broil and adjust the oven rack to the middle position.(Broiling on a higher rack will broil the bread too fast.)
3. Arrange the bread on a cookie sheet, place it under the broiler, and toast it on both sides to light brown. Watch slowly so the bread doesn't burn.
4. Remove the pan from the oven. Rub the cut side of the garlic, if using, over one side of each slice of bread. Brush a tiny amount of oil over each slice. Divide the tomato mixture and spread it evenly over the slices. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
5. Put the pan under the broiler and broil just until the cheese is melted and the tomato mixture is hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
* Top each toast slice with one leaf of fresh basil, a thin slice of tomato, and a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan, mozzarella, or Cheddar cheese. Broil.
* Lay a trimmed spear of cooked asparagus on each bread slice before sprinkling on the cheese (my favorite!).
Comments and feedback can be sent to email@example.com
INFORMATION AND INSPIRATION FOR LIVING A LATTER-DAY SAINT LIFE
Daily news, articles & videos right to your inbox.