1450

Fun Facts and Rededication Photos: Laie Hawaii Temple

by | Nov. 21, 2010

LDS Life

In celebration of the rededication of the Laie Hawaii Temple, see our photos taken the day of and enjoy the following interesting facts you may not know about this historic temple (and how it came to be):

  • In 1850, missionaries were first called and sent to the Hawaiian Islands.  Among them, Elder George Q. Cannon.
  • The Book of Mormon was translated into Hawaiian by George Q. Cannon and Hawaiian convert Jonathon Napela in 1855.  It was the 7th language translation of The Book of Mormon. 
  • While on a mission to Hawaii in the 1860’s, William W. Cluff received a vision where Brigham Young appeared to him and said: “This is the place, and upon this land we will build a temple unto our God.”
  • In 1865, the Church purchased a 6,000 acre sugarcane plantation which became a gathering place for the Hawaiian saints.
  • Joseph F. Smith visited Hawaii on Church business in 1915 and felt inspired to dedicate this land to the building of a temple in Hawaii.  As a 3-time missionary to Hawaii (his first when he was just 15 years old), he had a deep love for the islands and the Hawiian saints loved him right back.  
  • The Laie Hawaii Temple (then called the Hawaii Temple) was first dedicated on Thanksgiving Day in 1919 by President Heber J. Grant.
  • At that time there was no stake in Hawaii—wouldn’t be for another 16 years.
  • The Laie Hawaii Temple was called “The Taj Mahal of the Pacific” by some early tourist guides.
  • The Laie Hawaii Temple is the first temple built outside of the continental U.S., the first ever built in a location away from Church Headquarters, and the 5th temple built of the 134 operating temples today. 
  • This is its second rededication, the first performed by Spencer W. Kimball in 1978.
Comments and feedback can be sent to feedback@ldsliving.com