1.1 A Note on approach
These represent the notes I made during my reading of the scriptural text for this lesson. It is not a lesson outline or a lesson plan but really notes about issues and questions that struck me as interesting during my reading. Consequently, the notes do not have a conclusion and very little mention of application. I like to let those things arise while I teach.
1.2 Parallels between Jesus and Elisha
* Can you think of parallels between events in the life of Elisha and and the life of Jesus?
* LDS1 and non-LDS commentators2 have pointed out a number of parallels between events in the life of Elisha and the life of Jesus.
* A Few parallels between Jesus and Elisha
1. Elisha feeds a multitude with 20 loaves. Jesus feeds 5,000 with a few loaves (2 Kings 4:42-44).
2. Elisha heals a leper (2 Kings 5). Jesus heals ten lepers.
3. A man is raised from the dead after his burial when he comes in contact with Elisha’s bones (2 Kings 13:2-21). Jesus raises Lazarus and himself from the dead.
* Can you think of other parallels? What do you make of these parallels? Are they important? Are they just a coincidence?