Keeping the Money from the Scumbag

Dear Dave,

My nephew was recently left a large sum of money from a life insurance policy after his mother died. She did not have a will. His father, who has been out of the picture for some time, is about to be granted custody, and he's been asking lots of suspicious questions about the money. We don't trust his motives. How can we help make sure the money is protected?


Dear Anonymous,

You need to talk to a lawyer, and take this matter to probate court immediately. Tell the judge about the situation and your concerns. Ask him to put your nephew's money into a trust through a bank or other third party. Otherwise, as his guardian, there's a good chance the father will be granted control of the money.

I'm not big on bank trust departments, but I am big on keeping scumbags from taking money away from kids!

- Dave

* For more financial advice, plus special offers to our readers, please visit

Comments and feedback can be sent to