Purpose: To help family members build a stronger testimony of the Savior and of the sacredness of the temple as the house of the Lord
Gospel Principles: Jesus Christ, testimony, temples Scripture: Moro. 10:32
Music: “I Believe in Christ” (Hymns, no. 134), “If the Savior Stood Beside Me” (available on www.lds.org)
President Lorenzo Snow’s granddaughter Allie was once with him in his office in the Salt Lake Temple. It was nighttime, and President Snow was walking Allie to the front entrance as she was on her way home. While passing through the large hallway leading to the celestial room, Lorenzo stopped his granddaughter and said, “Wait a moment, Allie, I want to tell you something. It was right here that the Lord Jesus Christ appeared to me at the time of the death of President Woodruff. He instructed me to go right ahead and reorganize the First Presidency of the Church at once and not wait as had been done after the death of the previous presidents, and that I was to succeed President Woodruff.” Then President Snow took the time to describe to Allie the glory of the Savior, describing His hands, feet, and even His clothing. Allie also recalled President Snow testified to her, saying: “Now, grand-daughter, I want you to remember that this is the testimony of your grand-father, that he told you with his own lips that he actually saw the Savior, here in the Temple, and talked with Him face to face.”
1. Print a copy of “5 Prophets Who Have Seen the Lord.” Take turns having family members look up the scripture references and match them to the correct prophets.
2. Visit a local temple. Point out to family members the phrase House of the Lord on the exterior of the temple. Discuss how the temple is special as a sacred place for the Lord to come when He visits the earth.
3. Have family members write in their journals how they might feel if they were able to see the Savior in person. With whom might they want to share this experience? Why did President Snow share this experience with his granddaughter?
1. A good article summarizing many of Lorenzo Snow’s life experiences, including seeing the Savior, was published in the May 1993 Liahona.
2. The experience President Snow had in the temple is included as part of a lesson in the Primary 1 manual. This lesson contains some additional activities appropriate for younger children.
All lessons are excerpted from the new book Follow the Prophets: 52 FHE Lessons from Latter-day Prophets.