Preparation: Cut fourteen footprints out of colored paper, number them 1 through 14. Mount a drawing of a Primary-aged child on cardstock and cut out. Get a picture of Jesus Christ (such as Gospel Art Kit 240).
Presentation: Place the footprints across the front of the room leading towards the picture of Christ. Show the children the drawing of a Primary child. Tell them that this child will follow the footprints toward Jesus and they need to help him (or her) get there. Pick a child to come up and place the drawing on the first footprint. You or the child should read aloud the corresponding scripture (see below). Have the children answer the question (or sing the song). Repeat with each footprint.
1. John 13:34. (A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.) What is the new commandment? (Love one another)
2. 2 Nephi 31:12. (And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.) What did Jesus do, that we should follow? (Be baptized)
3. 3 Nephi 18:24. (Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up--that which ye have seen me do.) What does this scripture call Jesus' example? (A light)
4. Sing "I'm Trying to Be like Jesus," (Children's Songbook, 78-79).
5. Alma 37:37. (Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.) What word does Alma use to mean prayer? (Counsel)
6. Doctrine and Covenants 59:9. (And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day.) What two things will help keep us unspotted from the world? (Prayer and sacrament)
7. Sing "I Pray in Faith," (Children's Songbook, 14).
8. Matthew 14:23. (And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.) What did Jesus do when he went up into the mountain? (Pray)
9. John 5:39. (Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.) What testifies of Jesus Christ? (The scriptures)
10. Sing "Search, Ponder, and Pray," (Children's Songbook, 109).
11. Exodus 20:8. (Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.) What should we remember and keep holy? (The Sabbath)
12. Doctrine and Covenants 59:10. (For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High.) What is the Sabbath day for? (Rest and to pay devotion to the Lord)
13. Doctrine and Covenants 124:40. (And verily I say unto you, let this house be built unto my name, that I may reveal mine ordinances therein unto my people.) What should we build unto God's name? (His house, the temple)
14. Sing "I Love to See the Temple," (Children's Songbook, 95).
Explain that the "child" followed Jesus' example and is now closer to him. Encourage the children to learn more about Jesus and to follow his example. Testify when we follow Jesus Christ, we grow closer to him.