Need a quick sweet treat for your Fourth of July party? Check out these delicious and beautiful patriotic desserts that would be perfect for Memorial Day, Flag Day, and any patriotic holiday.
- 1 cup shredded coconut, for garnish
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix (disregard instructions on box)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (6-ounce) carton blueberry yogurt
- 1 (6-ounce) carton strawberry yogurt
- 1 (6-ounce) carton coconut yogurt or vanilla yogurt plus ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Red and blue food coloring
- Cream cheese frosting of your choice
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Fresh strawberries, blueberries, and toasted coconut, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake 7–8 minutes, stirring every 2–3 minutes until it’s toasted and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
3. Combine cake mix, oil, milk, and egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Divide the batter evenly into 3 medium-sized mixing bowls. Mix blueberry yogurt and blue food coloring in one bowl of batter until desired color is reached. Mix strawberry yogurt and red food coloring in a second bowl of batter. Mix coconut yogurt, or vanilla yogurt plus coconut extract, into the last bowl of batter and stir to combine.
4. Place cupcake liners in muffin pan. Place 1 tablespoon of 1 color batter in each liner. Use a spoon, or your finger dipped in water, to spread the batter out evenly. Repeat with remaining 2 bowls of batter, layering each color on top of the previous one.
5. Bake about 18–20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely to room temperature.
6. Prepare cream cheese frosting of your choice, adding in the coconut flavor.
7. Frost the cupcakes and top with fresh berries and toasted coconut.
Get more great recipes with Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites.
The award-winning food bloggers and authors of Our Best Bites are at it again, this time with all-new recipes focused around the seasons of the year. Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites will help you cook up a storm for your family and friends the whole year-round using fresh, healthy, seasonal ingredients. Recipes specific to the various holidays abound as well as delightful food crafts to make and enjoy.