Christmas is known as a time of peace...and shopping lists, extended family, and kids home from school. Ever feel like you need a vacation from all the Christmas vacation? Here are some tips to help relieve a little holiday stress.
1. Be selective about your holiday traditions. You don't have to do every single tradition from your childhood to adult life. Instead, select a few traditions to do this holiday season and save the others ones for next year. Rotating your traditions yearly will relieve your stress and also allow you to hold on to the traditions you love.
2. Stop searching for the perfect gift. Trying to find the perfect gift for a loved one, along with budgeting and affording those gifts, can be one of the most stressful parts of the holiday. Shop online to save time or consider getting gift cards for your teens and tweens so that they can then go and pick out the perfect gift for themselves.
3. Keep a gift closet. Shop year-round for gifts to save yourself some stress during the holiday season. If you see a toy or item that your child could grow into in a year, buy it and save it in your gift closet. The gift closet is not only effective for Christmas time, but also for birthdays and other gift-giving occasions.
4. Do a Secret Santa amongst your family members so that you won’t feel overwhelmed trying to buy gifts for everyone. Secret Santa delegates who gives gifts to whom and ensures that no one is forgotten.
5. Do service for others. When you get outside of yourself to help those in need, you are better able to forget your own stress. Helping those in need to have a wonderful holiday season will also help to brighten your own. Consider caroling to neighbors or baking Christmas cookies to leave at someone's door.
6. Eat well and exercise throughout the holiday season instead of just making a New Year’s resolution to do better after the holidays. As you get your body moving through exercise, your whole being will feel more relaxed.
7. Remind yourself of the true meaning of Christmas and the Savior’s birth. This will help you feel less stressed about the commercialism of the holidays and traditions that you feel obligated to keep up with.
STAY IN THE LOOP ON ALL THINGS MORMON.
Daily news, articles, photos, & videos right to your inbox.
We keep your email private.