One hundred summers ago, ward members laid the foundation for their new chapel. By September the sandstone walls stood about eight feet high and the cornerstone was prepared for its prominent setting in the southeast corner. It was a simple L-shaped stone with only “Erected 1909” inscribed to mark it. Bishop Joseph Christensen presided at the ceremony and lowered the stone into place. It was the 5th of September, now almost exactly a century ago.
The story might well end there with a reflection on the intervening century and an invitation to attend the Tenth Ward centennial celebration. But there is more to tell.
There is a time capsule.