It isn't where the well-known "This Is the Place" monument sits above the north side of Sunnyside Avenue.
The true spot is more likely where an obscure marker sits several hundred yards to the northeast of the famous concrete edifice. Both are in the southeast corner of This Is the Place Heritage Park.
A simple, 10-foot-tall white obelisk was installed by the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association and dedicated by LDS Church President Heber J. Grant on July 25, 1921, before a crowd of about 2,000 people. It is located on a hillside loftier than the site of today's larger and much more visited monument.
Even in 1921, there was still much debate over the location of the actual site. Still, "this monument was located here as the definitive answer as to where the event occurred," the plaque near the original monument states.