- 1 "square" topside or silverside beef roast
- 2-3 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 liter monis red grape juice (US equivalent, Martinelli's)
- 1 can creamed mushrooms or 1 can sliced mushrooms AND/OR
- 1 10.75-ounce can cream of muchroom soup
- soy sauce
- cornstarch for thickening
Lesley Nell Roodepoort Ward Roodepoort Stake Roodepoort, South Africa
My mother always made this when she had missionaries over for lunch on a Sunday. When I was no longer living at home, I made sure I wangled a lunch invite whenever I knew she was making this. Everyone would go back for second and thirds just because it tastes so good! My mom had ten children, and I think all would agree that this is her best recipe.
In 2004 I went back to South Africa to visit my mom while she was undergoing chemotherapy for her second round of breast cancer; I remember sitting on the edge of her bed and asking her the details of this recipe and other favorites. My mom died at age sixty-two of breast cancer. My name is Beverly Ledward, and though I grew up in South Africa, I now live in Herriman, Utah, and am a member of the Ledward Pioneer Ward. I put my mother’s name on this recipe in her memory.
Excerpted from Worldwide Ward Cookbook: Mom's Best Recipes, available now at Deseret Book