With the kickoff of the Church's Light the World Christmas initiative, the Church is beginning a new campaign December 1 to help participants serve each of the 25 days leading up to Christmas: 25 Ways Over 25 Days.
"The whole purpose of this initiative is to celebrate and share the Light of Christ," Elder David A. Bednar told Mormon Newsroom. "What we hope people will do is not simply think about the Savior during this Christmas season, or even just learn more about Him. What we hope is that they will come to know Him by doing what He did.”
A unique service advent calendar for the Light the World initiative is available at mormon.org and includes the service theme of the day along with a few ideas of how to serve.
Along with this calendar, inspiring videos for each day, as well as more ideas for ways to serve, are also available. As you serve, the Church has encouraged participants to share their experiences spreading the Savior's light and love with #LIGHTtheWORLD.
Here are some highlights and service ideas from the first few days of the Church advent calendar to get your Christmas of service started off on the right foot:
- Pray and ask Heavenly Father to make you more aware of those around you that need help carrying their burdens.
- Read Matthew 11:28–30 and then discuss with others how the Savior can help us through life’s most difficult challenges.
- Snowing outside? Lift up your shovel to clear an elderly neighbor’s driveway.
- Share an experience on social media of when prayer helped you carry a burden.
- Do you know a caregiver for an elderly or disabled adult? Take some time to visit the caregiver. Ask if there are any errands you can run for him or her.
- Students: Offer to carry someone’s backpack for him or her. Try to think of someone who could really use some kindness.
- Visit justserve.org for more ways to #LIGHTtheWORLD in your community (U.S. and Canada only).
- Send a handwritten note to your parents or in-laws.
- Learn about an ancestor and share that ancestor’s story. For help, visit familysearch.org.
- Call (not text) your parents.
- Ask your parents for advice on parenting your own children.
- Create an audio recording of your parents’ life stories.
- Set up a weekly video chat with your parents.
- Digitize a stack of old photos for your parents.
- Post on social media a positive characteristic that you inherited from your parents.
- Point out virtues in others that they don’t see in themselves.
- Read and share this account of Christ giving sight to the blind.
- Promote a vision charity on social media. You could even use the eyeglasses emoji.
- Take a disability awareness course.
- Use this app to be eyes for a blind person.
- Read a book to an elderly person with impaired vision.
- Use social media to help people see the good in the world.
Find the rest of the calendar and more inspired ways to serve at mormon.org.