Weekend Craft: 'I Love You' Card
Oh My Crafts - February 05, 2011
Looking for a card that really expresses how you feel about your Valentine? This homemade card is just what you need.This folding card made from a file folder has four different tags to express your sentiments. The best part is that it truly stands on its own and will be a treasured keepsake! And, as Nat King Cole expressed it, “Love was made for me and you.”
- File Folder: 1/3 tab on top
- Paper trimmer, ruler, scissors, cricut pick, score-it board
- Bo Bunny: Crush Paper Pack
- Bazzill Cardstock: red, 2 shades of pink, white and black
- Tim Holtz: ink dabber, rubber stamps: From the Heart, Garment District,
- Floral tattoo, blending foam, glossy accents
- Ink: Jenni Bowlin, fountain pen
- Adhesive: Glue Glider Pro – Perma Tac, foam squares
- Glitter ritz, glitter magnet, Be Creative Tape
- Embellishments: Bazzill: Clear Button, Prima: Black and Clear Flower Center,
- Basic Grey: Opaline Pearls and Bling It
- Ribbon: ribbon scraps
See photo gallery for a list measurements.
Scoring: All measurements are approximate depending up the file folder used. They are not all alike.
1. Fold bottom half of file folder up to be even with the bottom of the tab. The pocket should be approximately 3 ¾”. Use Score-it board to make a straight even score across the lower third of the folder. Keep folder folded when scoring. Do not glue pocket together at this time.
2. Follow chart in photo gallery to make scores. Make the measurement from the upper tab edge. Fold after each score.
3. When finished scoring and folding, the lower tab should be 3/8” shy of the right side.
4. Using the blending tool and foam pad, ink black over all edges and folds. (This darkens the manila folder in case it shows through at the edges.) Ink both sides of folder.
1. Decide all paper combinations first before cutting and gluing for the front and backsides. Lay out on table in the chosen order.
2. Start with the front cover side of the folder. (This is the side without the pocket.) Follow the chart from the photo gallery and trim paper according to measurements. Ink edges with black ink.
3. After preparing the four papers for the cover side, adhere paper with Glue Glider Pro. Trim excess paper off tabs and on the top and bottom, if needed.
4. Starting with panel 5a, cut each of the eight panels for the inside of the card. Set each panel in place and check the color/size combinations. They should alternate with a solid and print on each panel and then the opposite combination on the next panel.
5. Ink edges.
6. Adhere each of the top panels and trim off excess around tab.
7. Adhere each bottom panel and trim of excess around tab.
1. Using four different printed papers, cut the base 3 x 7 ¼”, ink edges with black ink.
2. Trim coordinating solid cardstock 2 ¾ x 6 ¾”, ink edges with black ink.
3. Adhere to tag base. Punch hole in top of tag when decorated and finish with ribbon.
1. Cut two 13” strips of sheer ribbon for ties of card.
2. If using any brads on pockets, adhere them at this point before gluing pockets down.
3. For any of the sticker medallions, mount on coordinating cardstock. In some cases, the stickers may be mounted on more than one color of cardstock. Trim around sticker with scissors and mount with foam squares.
4. Run strips of glue down each of the folds and along edges. Insert ties above and below tabs. Glue with a strong glue at ribbon. Fold up pocket and press together. Weigh down and let dry.