Tasty Grilled Beef Quesadillas
Emergency Essentials - March 13, 2012
These Grilled Beef Quesadillas, were a huge hit at our house the other night! Made with a few main freeze-dried ingredients, they are a delicious way to cook with food storage.
The main ingredients used here are freeze-dried corn, Monterey Jack cheese, and roast beef. Let me just say that freeze-dried foods are amazing! They have excellent shelf lives and will give you the ability to have meat, cheese, etc. during an emergency. Simply add some warm water and a few minutes later they are ready to go!
Here's a tip for the freeze-dried roast beef: Add a little beef bullion and garlic powder to the water when rehydrating for some added flavor.
We made 2 versions of the Grilled Beef Quesadillas the other day. The first basically followed the recipe minus the Cilantro (not very popular in our house). Then we made "Anna's version" using just the roast beef and the cheese.
I'm sure you will enjoy these just as much as we did. Have fun!
1 1/2 cups prepared thick and chunky salsa
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup freeze-dried corn+
8 (8"-10") flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups freeze-dried roast beef shreds and pieces+
+Reconstitute before using. Follow directions on #10 can to reconstitute.
1. Combine salsa, cilantro, and lime juice in a medium bowl.
2. Combine 1/2 cup salsa mixture, beans and corn in a separate bowl. Set aside remaining salsa mixture.
3. Sprinkle cheese evenly on one side of each tortilla; Divide beef evenly among tortilla; Top with scant 1/4 cup of bean mixture; Fold tortillas in half.
4. Place quesadillas on grill rack over medium, ash-covered coals.
5. Grill, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
6. Serve with reserved salsa mixture.
© Emergency Essentials for LDS Living, 2012.