May 2012 Sharing Time: Path to Baptism
Shauna Gibby - April 20, 2012
This sharing time will engage the children in a game that teaches them about baptism and the Holy Ghost.
Preparation: Create a poster of a path leading up to a gate by enlarging the sample below (or clicking here for a PDF), or drawing a simple version of your own. Create a game marker using a magnet or paper shape with tape on the back. Place the poster at the front of the room. Obtain and post pictures of Christ’s baptism, a child being baptized, and a child being confirmed.
Prepare strips of paper with the questions and songs listed below. Put the individual strips into a box or basket.
• What does someone being baptized wear? (white clothing)
• How old must someone be to be baptized? (at least eight years old)
• Sing “When I Am Baptized,” Children’s Songbook, 103.
• Who can perform a baptism? (a Priest in the Aaronic priesthood or someone who holds the Melchizedek priesthood)
• Before being baptized, a person needs to be interviewed by someone. Who? (bishop or branch president)
• What does immersion mean? (to be completely covered by water)
• Is baptism scary? (no, the person baptizing you will hold onto you the whole time)
• Who baptized Jesus? (John the Baptist)
• What is a covenant? (a promise between you and Heavenly Father)
• After we are baptized we are confirmed a member of the Church and given what gift? (the Holy Ghost)
• Sing “Baptism,” Children’s Songbook, 100.
• When do we renew our baptismal covenants? (when we take the Sacrament)
• The Holy Ghost is sometimes known by other names. Can you tell us one? (comforter, still, small voice, Spirit of God)
• Where are people baptized? (usually in a font of water in a church building, but sometimes in a river, lake, or pool)
Presentation: Show the children the poster. Explain that baptism is the gate to the strait and narrow path that leads to eternal life (see 2 Nephi 31). Tell them they are going to play a game and try to get the game piece through the gate.
Ask a child to come forward and choose a strip of paper from the basket. Read the question to them. They can get help from the rest of the Primary if they want. When they answer the question, they can move the marker up one step on the path. Clarify the concept, if needed. If the paper has a song on it, have the child help lead the song then move the marker up. Repeat with additional children until the marker reaches the top of the path.
Testify that you know the children are choosing the right when they get baptized. Jesus gave them the example of what to do and Heavenly Father is very happy when they take this important step.
© LDS Living, 2012.