Arts & Entertainment
Did you know Joseph Smith's famous leg surgery was the fourth in a series of surgeries? Here's a list of 15 other interesting facts about Joseph Smith.
1. Joseph Smith’s famous leg surgery was actually the fourth in a series of surgeries. The first surgery doctors had to lance his shoulder to drain it of infected material, the second and third times they tried to drain his leg, and the fourth time they removed the bone.
2. Emma wouldn’t let Joseph into the garden because people would gather just to be around him and would trample the plants.
3. The Prophet once taught that “complainers cannot be exalted.”
4. During the translation of the Book of Mormon, Joseph and Oliver Cowdery translated about 12 pages a day.
5. Joseph Smith was often known for his sense of humor. One of the phrases Heber C. Kimball recalled him using to get people to work on something was to “Yankee doodle do it.”
6. Once, while Joseph was supposed to be in hiding, he was actually playing in the street, flying a kite with the other boys. A man came up and asked one of the boys, Charles Stoddard, where the Prophet Joseph Smith was. Charles said, “He went to heaven on Hyrum’s white horse and we are fixing this kite to send his dinner to him.”
7. He once wore Rebecca Williams’ (wife of Frederick G. Williams) dress to escape Kirtland undetected.
8. During the Ohio tarring and feathering, Joseph spoke of how his spirit left his body during the ordeal and then returned after it was over.
These breathtaking pieces of LDS art by J. Kirk Richards vividly portray various aspects of Christ’s mortal ministry.
The Atonement and Resurrection are the two most significant events to take place on Earth. Focusing on the Savior’s mortal ministry helps us keep the spirit of Easter alive during the spring season. These new illustrations by J. Kirk Richards capture the beauty of Christ’s life and remind us what our Easter celebrations should be centered on.
These images are available in the book This is Jesus.
Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane...and fell on his face, and prayed saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. -Matthew 26:36, 39
While sifting through different movie options listed on the home page of Netflix, most people don’t realize that there are many hidden treasures that usually will not pop up as options. Here is a list of 12 movies that you can currently find on Netflix that are perfect for Latter-day Saints.
This film follows the Mormon pioneers as they cross the plains. The stories are based on true events and really help you gain an appreciation for what these people sacrificed so that they could practice their LDS faith and raise their families free from persecution.
Do you ever feel like leaving your missionary at the MTC is like dropping them into a black hole? Whether you're dropping them at the curb or at the airport headed for another country, it can be a very daunting experience.
Photo courtesy of Steven Thrap
What is their schedule like? What do they do all day? What are they eating? Let’s face it. Sometimes missionaries’ emails can be a little lacking in detail.
Whether you're sending a missionary to the MTC, or you already have one there, check out what they're up to while in the MTC. (Note: every missionary’s schedule varies according to classes and language training they need.)
Here’s what you (and your missionary) can expect as daily life in the MTC.
6:30 a.m. – Arise and Prepare: missionaries wake up, get dressed, and head down to the cafeteria.
7:00 a.m. – Breakfast: missionaries get half an hour to eat the most important meal of the day. Depending on the country the MTC is in, they could eat anything from cold cereal, bacon, and eggs to rice, beans, and sausage.
7:35 a.m. – Gym Time: missionaries generally take 30 minutes a day to get their heart rates going keep them in good health. This time at the gym can actually fall anywhere in a missionary’s schedule depending on the facilities and the number of missionaries at the MTC.
8:25 a.m. – Prepare: missionaries shower and change to get ready for the rest of the day.
If you need a good laugh, look no further. Check out these 12 hilarious Mormon movie quotes.