The Food Dish
Get all your cooking conundrums solved with those mavens of modern meal prep, Sara Wells and Kate Jones of the cooking blog and New York Times-bestselling cookbook Our Best Bites and newly released Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites.
1. What is your “must have” kitchen gadget?
A 5-6-quart non-stick skillet like this one. I literally don't even have a place for it in my kitchen because by the time I'm putting away dishes, I'm using it again.
2. How do you make kitchen clean up easier?
A few years ago, Sara and I competed in a cooking contest at Better Homes & Gardens. While we were cooking, there were these nice people that followed us around and cleaned up after us. So that is my suggestion for making clean-up easier, because if you took a look at our kitchens most days, you'd realize we're the wrong people to ask.
3. Do your recipes do well with non-dairy products (rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk)?
Quite honestly, we haven't experimented a whole lot with non-dairy milks. Some recipes would probably translate well, but not others.
4. What is your average food budget every week/month?
More than your average grocery budget. It's kind of apples and oranges because in addition to regular household stuff, we're constantly experimenting and developing recipes and all of those expenses gets lumped into our grocery budgets.
5. When making pies in a jar, are you able to make them a few days ahead of time and freeze them?
Or at least do the crust ahead of time? Yep, definitely. You can keep them frozen for quite awhile.
6. What is your best tip for storing cupcakes? Is there a trick to keeping the cake from drying out while keeping the frosting from getting too soft?
December cooking means cookie baking. While you consider what to put on your cookie plates this year, take a look at some of LDS Living's favorite recipes – chosen by editors, and also chosen by readers.
LDS Living recently ran a Party Food and Appetizer contest. We had some brilliant submissions - these recipes were the best of the best! Use them for sure-fire hits during your holiday and Christmas celebrations.
The moment you've been waiting for - the best party food recipe we found.
We're almost at the end of our Party Food Contest recipe madness. Today, we reveal to you the delicious 2nd place recipe: Southwestern Egg Rolls with Avocado Ranch.