10 sent to hospital following hazmat incident at Temple Square

by | Aug. 22, 2013

Everything Else

Two chemicals were accidentally mixed together at Temple Square on Thursday, creating a hazardous materials scare that resulted in 10 people being sent to the hospital.

About 11:30 a.m., a janitor inside Temple Square's South Visitor's Center, 50 W. S. Temple, was pouring chlorine into what he thought was an empty bottle, said Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay. But there were traces of sulfuric acid inside from a previous job.

The mixture created a vapor cloud of thionyl chloride, he said.

Read the rest of this story at deseretnews.com
Comments and feedback can be sent to feedback@ldsliving.com