12. Losing some of my press-on nails in the dressing while mixing.
—Elizabeth Hyde Rose
13. Salt in the homemade cranberry sauce instead of sugar.
14. Accidentally set the oven to “clean” when putting the turkey in. It had an auto-lock feature on it and the turkey ended up cremated. We ended up eating cheese, crackers, side dishes, and pie.
15. Made 20 lbs. of mashed potatoes one year. Loaded up the baby and the husband in the van, drove almost two hours to where my family was having Thanksgiving dinner. Realized as we pulled up that the mashed potatoes were still in the fridge at home. Luckily, my mom knows how forgetful I can be and had backups made, just in case.
16. Was newly married, excited to host my parents for Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. Thanksgiving morning I decided it was time to take the 21-pound turkey out of the freezer to defrost. . . we had ham.
—Maren Smith Butcher
17. My brother bragged and bragged for several days how his turkey was going to be, hands down, the best turkey we’d ever eaten. We have a large family so several people made a turkey that Thanksgiving. He was so full of pride when he arrived with his beautiful smoked turkey. . . only to start cutting into it and realizing he’d accidentally left the gizzard bag inside. He gagged, started cussing, and threw the whole turkey away. We all laughed and laughed and never forgot that very special turkey!
—Amy L Davies
18. Dumping burning, smoking sugar syrup (for sweet potatoes) down the toilet to get rid of it quickly. Does anybody remember what happens to a boiling sugar syrup when it hits cold water??? And that was also the year that I (attempted to) carry in homemade whole-berry cranberry sauce into a family get-together—in my purse. Not enough hands. Anybody want to guess what happened inside my purse before I unloaded the cranberry sauce??
—Virginia Moll Peters