Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry minced onion
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease 9×13-inch baking pan. If using slow cooker, lightly oil cooking insert. In large bowl, mix beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, coconut milk, ginger, salt, and pepper with hands until just combined. Form into 1-inch balls and place in prepared baking pan or slow cooker. Bake, covered with sauce, 20 minutes in oven or set slow cooker to low and cook 3–4 hours.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, smashed with their juices
- 2–3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
In saucepan over medium heat, add oil, chopped peppers, and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add onion powder, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil. Stir to combine and then add mandarin oranges. Bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, stir cornstarch and water together in a separate bowl before whisking into sauce. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve over meatballs with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish.