Dave Says: You’re Being Hoodwinked!

by | Nov. 09, 2010


Dear Dave,

The company I work for just told me I have to get a personal credit card for business travel. What’s your advice on how to respond?


Dear Jason,

If it were me, I’d sit down with my boss and let him know this is deal breaker. If the company you work for wants to send you out on the road to do business in their name, then they should man up and pay for it.

I think corporate America has really pulled a big joke on lots of folks. In some cases, you’ve got these multi-billion dollar companies borrowing money from their employees, and then paying it back—most of the time. Think about it. What happens if they decide, for whatever reason, not to honor an item on your expense report? You own it, dude. You’re stuck with the bill!

I wouldn’t do this, Jason. But if you decide to stick with it, get a debit card and set it up on a separate account only for corporate expenses for which you can be reimbursed. You’ll have to prime the pump, and put a little money in there to get it started, and I’d ask the company for an advance against travel to help fund that account.

But the truth is they should just pay the bill when they send you out on the road!


* For more financial advice please visit daveramsey.com.
Comments and feedback can be sent to feedback@ldsliving.com