Here’s a snapshot of what you may have missed on LDS Living this week. You can also subscribe to the LDS Living newsletter for daily inspiration right to your inbox.
At the end of each year, 11-year-old boys and girls and their parents are invited to attend a Temple and Priesthood Preparation meeting with Church youth leaders. But with the recent emphasis on home-centered gospel learning, there is a greater need to begin teaching those principles long before youth turn 12. Here are 10 gospel lessons that will benefit incoming young men and young women.
The battle is called “the Miracle at Gapyeong.” The heroic incident took place on May 25, 1951, when a small battalion of 240 brave young soldiers from small-town southern Utah Latter-day Saint homes found themselves suddenly under attack by 4,000 Chinese and North Korean soldiers. Read the full story.
Over 30 years ago, John Bytheway read a Church News editorial by William B. Smart titled, “The Three Levels of Christmas.” The editorial forever changed Bytheway’s Christmas and this Christmas, Bytheway is sharing Smart’s “Three Levels of Christmas” with a whole new generation. Watch the video.
You might be familiar with the Sunday on Monday podcast hosted by Tammy Uzelac Hall. Learn about just four Hebrew definitions for words in the scriptures that Tammy shared this year that may change how you see them and how you see your relationship with the Savior. Read the article.
• Elder and Sister Renlund are feeling well after being diagnosed with COVID-19. Other Church leaders tested negative for COVID-19.
• A new historic marker honors five generations of the Smith family.
• This weekend, the Christmas lights at the Washington D.C. Temple will turn on for a special drive-thru edition of the Festival of Lights.
• “A Deseret Book Christmas” debuted featuring the Bonner Family, Nathan Pacheco, and hosted by David Butler.
• The Church announced four temples would soon begin Phase 3. We compiled 18 powerful quotes from messages related to that announcement from President Nelson, Elder Renlund, Elder Bednar, and Elder Stevenson.
• The First Presidency Christmas devotional was held on Sunday, December 6. Read eight quotes that point you to Christ.
• On Sunday, December 13, BYUtv will air “Christmas with The Chosen.” Here are four things to look forward to.
Study Helps, Podcast Previews, and Other Weekly Series
• “Resources to follow Him” is a curation of study resources, teachings, and thoughts related to this week’s Come, Follow Me. This week, author Danielle Christensen writes, “What Pride and Prejudice and an Emily Dickinson poem have to do with this week's Come, Follow Me.” You can also find this week's podcast episode of Sunday on Monday here.
• “This week from the pulpit” highlights recent messages by General Authorities, General Officers, and leaders of the Church. This week's article shares messages from Elder Soares, Elder Stevenson, Sister Craven, and more.
• In this week's episode of This Is the Gospel, storytellers share how they have learned to “be not troubled.” Read an excerpt from the episode, “What reminded one woman to call down the powers of heaven for her family during the pandemic.”
• On this week's episode of All In, host Morgan Jones is joined by singer Lauren Daigle. Read an excerpt from this week's episode, “How a period of sickness and isolation led to Christian singer Lauren Daigle’s hit song ‘You Say’.”