Ancient papyrus scrolls once owned by the Church but lost in its early days. Records from the first general conference. A handmade sketch by Gordon B. Hinckley that revolutionized temple building. These are just some of the things you will see on display at the Church's "Foundations of Faith" exhibit.
The Church History Library has recently placed several new items on display in its Foundations of Faith exhibit. An ancient papyrus, a record of the first general conference, and the handmade sketch that accelerated the construction of temples over the past two decades are among the items that make the Church’s organization and growth relevant to visitors today.
The oldest item that has been added to the exhibit is a fragment of papyrus scrolls, which date from the second century B.C. The scrolls were acquired by the Church in 1835 after having been discovered in Egypt.
Shortly thereafter, Joseph Smith began translating the book of Abraham.
The scrolls were sold to multiple parties in 1856, and most may have been destroyed in the great Chicago fire of 1871. Later, 10 fragments were discovered to be held by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, where Kirtland-era paper was attached to the back side as reinforcement.