Sweet & Sour Baked Chicken
3 to 6 servings
6 drumsticks or thighs
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks with juice, undrained
1/4 cup soy sauce (Or teriyaki sauce)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place the chicken pieces in a 9x13 baking dish. (You may remove the skin if desired.)
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pineapple, soy sauce, and dry mustard.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through the cooking time. The chicken is done when the juices run clear, or if you prefer them well-done, when the meat falls of the bone.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and pour the sauce into a small bowl. Serve with brown or white rice. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and rice. Add a salad and a cooked vegetable if desired, such as peas and carrots, or cauliflower.
Substitute chicken breasts for the legs and remove them from the oven when the flesh is no longer pink. You could also make this with a mix of legs and breasts, but be aware that the breasts may dry out while you wait for the legs to finish cooking.
Grill the chicken, along with fresh pineapple slices.
Marinate the chicken (briefly or all day) in the sauce from step 3. Pour 1/4 cup of the sauce into a separate cup and brush it onto the chicken and the pineapple as they grill. Boil the remaining sauce and place it in a bowl to serve at the table.