Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 teaspoons roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 (12 oz.) bag frozen peas and carrots
Heat oil in large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Add onion and cook 2–3 minutes or until translucent and tender. Add garlic, thyme, parsley, and potatoes and cook an additional 30 seconds, stirring once or twice.
Quickly whisk in flour and cook another 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Pour in half-and-half, chicken stock, cream, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, season with salt and pepper, add chicken and veggies, and simmer up to 2 hours, checking often to ensure liquid does not cook off. If preparing ahead of time, simmer for only 30 minutes before cooling and refrigerating.
Remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings if needed, and serve with warm buttermilk biscuits, cut into squares.