Makes 6 servings
Ideal slow-cooker size: 6-quart
Cooking time: 5-6 hours
1 medium eggplant, sliced into rounds, then rounds quartered
1 green pepper, diced1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper
2 cups cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 24-oz jar meatless spaghetti sauce
9 whole-wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fresh basil, minced
1. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place eggplant, mushrooms, and peppers on sheet. Combine oil and garlic and brush on both sides of the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. While veggies are cooking, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg in a bowl.
3. In the slow-cooker, layer the ingredients as follows:
* 1/4 cup pasta sauce (spread on bottom of slow-cooker)
* 3 lasagna noodles (break in half if needed)
* 1/2 of cottage cheese mixture
* 1/2 of vegetables
* 1/3 of pasta sauce
* 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese
* 1/2 of basil
* Repeat layers
* Top with remaining noodles and pasta sauce
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 5-6 hours.
5. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let cheese melt. Unplug slow-cooker and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe came from Slow Cooking Fast by Karen Bellessa Petersen.