Preparation: Enlarge the missionary maze image provided or create your own maze on poster board. Place the poster at the front of the room. Obtain a colored marker.
Prepare strips of paper with the questions and songs listed below (do not include the answers). Put the individual strips into a box or basket.
• Do you have to have a name badge to be a missionary? (no, everyone can do missionary work)
• How old do you need to be to become a full-time missionary? (at least eighteen-years-old for boys and nineteen-years-old for girls)
• Sing “We’ll Bring the World His Truth,” Children’s Songbook, 172.
• How can being kind to others be doing missionary work? (they will see your example and judge the church by how you act)
• How can learning the Articles of Faith help us be good missionaries? (they will help us answer questions about what we believe)
• Jesus said, “As I have loved you, love _____ _________.” (one another)
• What is something we can do now to prepare to be a full-time missionary when we are older? (obey the commandments, attend church, read the scriptures, pray, be kind to others, etc.)
• Sing “I Want to Be a Missionary Now,” Children’s Songbook, 168.
• Jesus said we should let our light so shine that other people will see our good works. What do you think that means? (others will see the good we do and judge the church by our actions)
• What is something you can do to be a good missionary now? (invite our friends to church, scouts, family home evening, etc.)
• Sing “The Church of Jesus Christ,” Children’s Songbook, 77.
Presentation: Show the children the maze. Tell them they are going to play a game and try to help the children be good missionaries and bring their friends to church.
Ask a child to come forward and choose a strip of paper from the basket. Read the question to them. They can get help from the rest of the Primary if they want. When they answer the question, they can use the marker to draw a path through the maze. They must stop when they come to a heart. Clarify the answer to the question, if needed. If the paper has a song on it, have the child help lead the song then draw the path. Repeat with additional children until they have drawn a line to the church house.
Testify that you know the gospel is true and that sharing it with others will please Heavenly Father, bless our lives, and bless those we share the gospel with. Help them know they can begin to prepare now to serve a mission in the future AND they can do missionary work now.