Recently, Faye from West Virginia submitted a
recipe through a product review of the
Preparedness Pantry Sausage Crumbles. We gave it
a whirl in our test kitchen, and the results were
pretty tasty! Faye calls it Sausage Crumble - but
since that's also the name of our product, we took
the liberty of re-naming the recipe to Creamy
Sausage "Stew." It's a really versatile recipe – you
could even substitute chicken for the sausage and
use it as a chicken pot pie filling. (Yum!)
1 cup water + 3/4 cup Provident Pantry Creamy Soup Base^
1 teaspoon Provident Pantry garlic pepper
1/2 teaspoon Provident Pantry onion powder
2/3 cup dehydrated Provident Pantry green peas
2/3 to 1 cup dehydrated Provident Pantry sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup dehyrated Provident Pantry sausage crumbles
1/3 cup dehyrated Provident Pantry shredded cheddar (do not reconstitute)
^Please note that this is different than the directions on the can.
1. Set a medium pot of water on the stove to boil.
2. Put the peas, mushrooms, and sausage crumbles in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Once the water has started boiling, pour enough into the mixing bowl to cover the sausage and vegetables. Let sit for five minutes while you make the cream mixture.
4. Measure the creamy soup base, garlic pepper, and onion powder into a small mixing bowl. Add one cup of water, and whisk until smooth.
5. Serve over mashed potatoes.
Yield: 4 medium servings, 6 small servings
Optional serving suggestions: Serve over toast (how Faye suggests serving it), rice, biscuits, quinoa, or wheat berries.
Variations: Add diced tomatoes, sour cream powder, carrots, or other varieties of cheese to suit your tastes.
This recipe was a big hit in the Emergency Essentials office - everyone who tried it wanted a second serving. Enjoy! (And thanks, Faye, for the great recipe idea!)