Pretty Darn Funny just released its first episode of season 2, and it's about a situation we're all pretty familiar with: how to come up with date ideas to create a great date night for you and your spouse while dealing with busy schedules and tight finances. Their solution is quarter night at the Cheap Seats discount theater—"two tickets, a large popcorn, and a goodie bag all for 25 cents." Or course, they also got a few other things thrown in the deal, like a mysterious infestation and a homeless man squatting in the theater. . . .
So this episode got us thinking. Just what can you do to have a great date for cheap or free? Six Sisters shared this great list of 50 fun date ideas for cheap or free, from their new book of recipes, activity and craft ideas, and more, Six Sisters' Stuff. And make sure to stay tuned for more funny videos from Pretty Darn Funny, released each Monday!
1. Make your own fondue. Use a fondue pot (or slow cooker) and dip fresh fruit, cake, cookies, marshmallows, and pretzels in melted chocolate. We like this delicious recipe at AllRecipes.
2. Make homemade pizzas together.
3. Fly kites. You can usually find them at the dollar store.
4. Try a new sport together.
5. Have a game night. Pull out all of your board games for a friendly night of competition. Be sure to have some treats for the occasion, like our Gooey Almond and Coconut Chex Mix.
6. Be a tourist in your own city. Find out what tourist attractions are in your city and spend the night acting like tourists—don’t forget to take lots of cheesy pictures!
7. Go inline skating. If the weather is bad, try an indoor skating rink.
8. Explore. Rent a four-wheeler, snowmobile, scooter, waver runner, or other vehicle and do a little exploring.
9. Go to a thrift store. Each person gets $5 to spend. See who ends up with the best item(s)!
10. Have a picnic. If the weather doesn’t permit an outdoor picnic, lay out a blanket on the floor and eat in the living room.
11. Go see a play. Whether it’s at your local community theater, high school, or a big-city play house, there is plenty of entertainment available in most areas.
12. Stargazing. Pack a blanket, pillows, and food (like our Ham and Swiss Poppy Seed Sandwiches), and go somewhere to see the stars. Do some research before you leave so you know which constellations to look for.
13. Go to a park. Swing on the swings, play Frisbee, or feed the ducks.
14. Check out a local museum. Local museums usually don’t cost much to get in.
15. Have a crazy dinner. Each person gets $5 (or whatever amount you decide) to spend on any food item at the grocery store for dinner. Come home and prepare your meal. You might end up with something delightful!
16. Make ice cream sundaes. Head to the store and buy some vanilla ice cream and your favorite toppings. Relax and enjoy your tasty treat!
17. Go to a local sporting event. Luckily, sports are going on year-round. Grab some snacks and head out to the ball game!
18. Go treasure hunting. On a Saturday morning, head to the ATM and take out $10 to $20. Drive around to some local yard sales and see what you end up with.
19. Go on a bike ride. If you don’t have a bike, check the classifieds for a great deal. You could even pack a lunch!
20. Have a living-room campout. Make a tent out of blankets, watch a movie, and sleep on an air mattress.
21. Love Languages. Take the 5 Love Languages Test to see how to improve your relationship. End the evening with some chocolate-dipped strawberries.
22. Go for a swim. Head to a local pool and relax in the hot tub.
23. Have a coupon date. Only eat or do activities for which you have coupons.
24. Volunteer. Sign up to volunteer at a soup kitchen, retirement home, or somewhere that could use a helping hand.
25. Go to a local fair or carnival. Be sure to bring some cash to play the games!
26. Take a free factory tour. You might be surprised what factories are around you!
27. Visit the zoo. If you don’t live near a zoo, go somewhere to see your local wildlife.
28. Take a drive. Get out of the house and take a drive. Take a look at nature or local scenery. Find changing leaves in the fall, flowers blooming in the spring, and so on. Remember to bring some treats in case you get hungry.
29. Have a video game night. Grab some food and drinks and stay in for the night playing your favorite video games.
30. Go bowling. To make things a little more difficult, try bowling in different styles, such as using only your opposite hand, playing granny style, closing your eyes, etc.
31. Make s’mores and read campfire stories.
32. Have a movie marathon. Watch your favorite movies for a movie marathon. While you watch, munch on our Snickers Popcorn.
33. Have a TV-show marathon. Pick a TV show and get a whole season’s worth of DVDs to watch together.
34. Have a theme night. Pick a theme for the night and center everything around it. For a Mexican night, you could eat Mexican food and go salsa dancing. Our Cheesy Enchilada Casserole would be the perfect addition to your evening.
35. Try a new restaurant. Pick somewhere neither of you have been and try it out.
36. Take some lessons. Try taking dance, pottery, or cooking lessons together.
37. Restaurant hop. Go to a different restaurant for each course of the meal: one stop each for an appetizer, main course, and dessert. Take turns picking where to go.
38. Have a spa night.
39. Play 20 Questions. Write a list of 20 questions to ask each other. Share your answers afterward.
40. Make breakfast together and eat it in bed.
41. Exercise together. Attend an exercise class at a local gym, take a walk or jog together, or do something active.
42. Go for a test drive. Head to your nearest car dealership and test drive your dream car.
43. Take a hike. Check out trails.com for a list of hiking trails in your area. Then choose one for your date-night hike.
44. Break a record. Read through the Guinness Book of World Records together and find something the two of you could potentially achieve as a couple and then do it together as a cheap date.
45. Visit a bakery. Go to a local bakery and pick out a treat for each other.
46. Cook a meal together. Find a recipe you’ve never tried and make it together. Be sure to include some dessert, like our Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Brownies.
47. Write a bucket list. Make a list of things you both want to do before you die. And then go do one to cross it off the list.
48. Go house hunting. Tour some homes and plan out your dream home!
49. Make a restaurant at home. Find recipes from some of your favorite cookbooks or cooking websites, create a menu, and have a lovely meal at home.
50. Go to the arcade. Get some quarters and head to your nearest arcade. Play some games and buy prizes with the tickets you win.
To get more date ideas, craft tutorials, and mouth-watering recipes, get the new book, Six Sisters' Stuff.