As part of “Celebrating the Light of the World: A Christmas on Temple Square Performance,” a virtual event marking the beginning of the Christmas season, 15 Church leaders shared the familiar account of the Savior’s birth found in Luke 2, but this version is likely different than the one you may read in your home this Christmas.
The leaders read some of the verses found in Luke 2 in eight different languages, including Mandarin (Elder Gerrit W. Gong), Portuguese (Elder Ulisses Soares and President Bonnie H. Cordon), and more.
Elder Quentin L. Cook concluded the video by saying, “The shepherds heard Him as they heard heavenly hosts testifying of Him. As we celebrate that sacred event, we likewise can hear Him. In doing so, we will find peace and joy amid the trials that surround us. Let us show gratitude for the numerous blessings we have been given this Christmas season—greatest among them, our knowledge of the birth of the Son of God. We testify that He is the Light and the Life of the World.”
► You may also like: 8 virtual Christmas events and concerts you can enjoy from home
Watch the video of Luke 2 in the video below. Following the video is a list of the General Authorities and General Officers who participated in the reading. Languages spoken and participants are listed in alphabetical order.
Languages Spoken and Participants
- •. Dutch
- • President Steven J. Lund, Young Men General President
- • English
- • President Jean B. Bingham, Relief Society General President
- • Elder Carl B. Cook, Presidency of the Seventy
- • President Joy D. Jones, Primary General President
- • Elder Patrick Kearon, Presidency of the Seventy
- • President Mark L. Pace, Sunday School General President
- • Sister Sharon Eubank, Relief Society General Presidency First Counselor
- • Bishop Gérald Caussé, Presiding Bishop
- • Elder Michael T. Ringwood of the Seventy
- • Elder Gerrit W. Gong of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- • President Bonnie H. Cordon, Young Women General President
- • Elder Ulisses Soares of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- • Sister Reyna I. Aburto, Relief Society General Presidency Second Counselor
- • Brother Ahmad Corbitt, Young Men General Presidency First Counselor
- • Elder Adrián Ochoa of the Seventy
Bring the Christmas spirit to your home with the new booklet, Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room. In this thoughtful Christmas message, Elder Gary E. Stevenson reminds us of the words we often sing at Christmas, "Let every heart prepare him room," and invites each of us to consider how we can prepare our hearts for Christ during the Christmas season. Can we be more pure, meek, and lowly, as the Savior? With an invitation to do something that expresses in an outward way our inward feelings about the Savior, Elder Stevenson reminds each of us to consider our hearts and make room for the Savior during the Christmas season and throughout the year. Available now at DeseretBook.com.