Pumpkin Basil Risotto
Photo courtesy of Michal Coombs
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups Cinderella pumpkin, diced
- 6–8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned, plus 2–3 more leaves (also julienned) for garnishing
- 1 cup grated Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
Coat bottom of large pot with olive oil and sauté onion on medium heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. When onion is translucent, turn heat to low and add rice and pumpkin. Sauté 5–10 more minutes.
Add 2–3 cups of vegetable stock until rice is just covered and ¼ cup of julienned basil. Allow to come to a boil and let cook until nearly all stock is gone. Add another 1–2 cups of stock and let cook and reduce. Repeat for the next 30–40 minutes, adding stock one cup at a time and reducing until rice is creamy and soft. For final cup of stock, reduce just until it is a thin, pudding-like mixture.
Turn off heat and stir in cheese. To serve, garnish with fresh julienned basil and roasted, salted pumpkin seeds.
For more delicious recipes from Michal Coombs, check out meatlessmain.com.