Our gospel is firmly grounded on one vital principle. Love. From an early age in the Church, we are taught to love our neighbor, love our family, love ourselves, and most importantly to love Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ. After all, D&C 59:5 tells us, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy might, mind, and strength." Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love each of us infinitely, selflessly, and individually. They stand as our perfect example of what loves is and what love should be. Here are eight powerful LDS quotes on love to help you understand its importance and meaning.
1. "Love is the greatest power and will have the most powerful influence."
—Elaine S. Dalton A Return to Virtue
2. "If we are truly disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, we will reach out with love and understanding to all of our neighbors at all times."
—M. Russell Ballard, October 2001 general conference
3. "Love is the greatest of all the commandments—all others hang upon it. It is our focus as followers of the living Christ. It is the one trait that, if developed, will most improve our lives."
—Joseph B. Wirthlin, October 2007 general conference
4. "When it's within our power to give love, we should never withhold it."
—Mary Ellen Edmunds Love is a Verb
5."Love is the measure of our faith, the inspiration for our obedience, and the true altitude of our discipleship."
—Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2009 general conference
6. "In the end, what we have learned from books, how many scriptures we've memorized, how many years of service we've acquired, or how many callings we've completed will be secondary to how much we have loved."
—John Bytheway Sermons in a Sentence
7. "I am confident that our Heavenly Father's arms are constantly extended, ever ready to embrace each one of us and say to each one with that quiet, piercing voice, 'I love you.'"
—Paul E. Koelliker, April 2012 general conference
8. "Lay your burden at the Savior's feet. Let go of judgment. Allow Christ's Atonement to change and heal your heart. Love one another. Forgive one another. The merciful will obtain mercy."
—Dieter F. Uchtdorf, April 2012 general conference
Do you know any other LDS quotes on love? Leave a comment down below and let us know!