FHE: The Fifth Article of Faith
13 Weeks of FHE
We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
Thought: “Some of you may be shy by nature or consider yourselves inadequate to respond affirmatively to a calling. Remember that this work is not yours and mine alone. It is the Lord’s work, and when we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.”
—President Thomas S. Monson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Song: “Called To Serve,” Hymn #249
Articles of Faith 1:5: “We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.”
(This would be a good time to teach the family where the Articles of Faith are found in the scriptures, at the conclusion of the Pearl of Great Price.)
• Read Acts 8:14–20, where Simon asks the apostles if he can pay money for the power to give people the Holy Ghost. Talk about how the gift of the Holy Ghost can’t be purchased with money, but needs to be given by one who has the proper priesthood authority.
• Watch Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith, Fifth Article of Faith clip:
• List off some of the ordinances of the gospel that are administered by priesthood authority (baptism, blessings, giving the Holy Ghost, the sacrament, etc.).
Duck, Duck, Goose!
• Step 1: Explain the game.
Basic Concept: A group of players sit in a circle, facing inward, while another player, the “picker,” walks around tapping or pointing to each player in turn, calling each a “duck” until finally picking one to be a “goose.” The goose then rises and chases and tries to tag the picker, while the picker runs around the entire circle and tries to return to sit where the goose had been sitting. If the picker succeeds, the "goose" is now the new picker and the process begins again. If the goose succeeds in tagging the picker, the goose may return to sit in his or her previous spot and the picker resumes the process.
• Step 2: Choose a picker.
• Step 3: Play the game!
• Step 4: After the game is finished, highlight the fact that the picker was the only one who had authority in the game to choose the goose. The players could not declare themselves the goose. We believe that our leaders have the authority to prayerfully consider and call individuals whom they feel the Lord wants to serve in particular callings, and that those called are set apart to their callings by those who have authority.
Strawberry Angel Food Dessert
1 10-inch angel food cake
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
1 19-ounce jar strawberry glaze
1. Crumble the cake into a 9x13 inch dish.
2. Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Mash the cake down with your hands and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake.
3. In a bowl, combine strawberries and glaze until strawberries are evenly coated. Spread over cream cheese layer. Chill until serving time.
Recipe from allrecipes.com.
To learn more about the Articles of Faith, check out the full DVD of Zack & Zoey Explore the Articles of Faith.