► Related content: The Church and Coronavirus: A Timeline of News Releases and Media Coverage
Today on Church Newsroom, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints updated an earlier statement about the coronavirus. The following information is new:
For all Church members, there is wisdom in taking steps to remain healthy during this cold and flu season. These precautions include*:
- Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water or clean them with an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick (this may include avoiding shaking hands or other customary greetings).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Maintain at least three feet (one meter) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow public health agency recommendations for using a facemask.
*Based on recommendations from the World Health Organization and United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Local leaders should encourage members to follow these guidelines. They should also counsel with their area presidency to determine when stronger steps should be taken (such as limiting or canceling Church meetings). Those decisions should be made in consultation with the area medical advisors.
Employees of the Church should follow the guidelines outlined above and any other direction provided by their area presidency.
PRESS RELEASE FROM Church Newsroom