On October 14, 2020, Elder David A. Bednar participated in the G20 Interfaith Forum, a gathering of leaders from all over the world and of different faiths. Elder Bednar’s address focuses on why religion is essential in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. The full text of his address is available at Church News.
In his remarks, Elder Bednar urged policymakers to consider the implications of their actions on faith communities and encouraged all to remember the centrality of faith in the lives of believers. Here are five quotes from his address, “Understanding Religion As Essential—Reflections on the COVID-19 Crisis and the Place of Religion.”
1. “No one has a right to spread a dangerous virus. But that is not the end of the matter.”
2. “Our faith calls upon us to love God above all else. It defines who and what we are, how we understand the meaning of our lives, and how we live each day. It is the source of our strength, consolation, and hope amidst sorrow, travail, and death. Faith traditions are the incubators and shapers of family and community life, creating and sustaining the spiritual ties that link and bind people together. Religion transmits moral and social truths to the next generation. Can anything be more vital?”
3. “Severing people from their religious communities threatens people’s spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical health.”
4. “Misinformation is a major obstacle in a health crisis. Faith communities can debunk rumors, calm fears, and facilitate accurate information. Many will be fearful of vaccines. Religious leaders can be helpful in the fight against the coronavirus.”
5. “Choosing to disrespect religion rather than find ways to safely accommodate it has serious consequences. It infringes on the dignity of believers.”
Read Elder Bednar’s full remarks at Church News.